Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA)
The Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) stands as one of the Two Hundred and Sixty-One (261) Metropolitan, Municipal, and District Assemblies (MMDAs) within Ghana and is one of the Twenty-Nine (29) MMDAs in the Greater Accra Region. Established in 1898, the AMA has a rich history and has evolved in terms of its name, size, and Sub-Metros. It derives its legal authority from the Local Governance Act, 2016 (ACT 936) and Legislative Instrument (L.I) 2034.
The 2018 population of Accra is estimated at 2,036,889, with a daily influx of over 2 million people who visit for various socio-economic activities. This results in a daily population of approximately 4 million, including residents and visitors.
The AMA operates with a robust administrative structure consisting of sixteen (16) Departments and various Units. These report directly to the Metro Coordinating Director (MCD) and, ultimately, to the Metro Chief Executive (Mayor). The General Assembly, consisting of 34 members, oversees the Assembly’s functions. It is composed of 20 Elected Members, 10 Government Appointees, 3 Members of Parliament, and the Metro Chief Executive, who chairs the Executive Committee. The Assembly operates through 14 Sub-Committees that facilitate deliberation and decision-making.
The AMA’s mission is to enhance the quality of life for those residing within the City of Accra. It does so by providing leadership and opportunities for social and economic development while maintaining a clean, attractive, and secure environment.
The AMA envisions a fair and resilient city with equal socio-economic opportunities for all.
In accordance with the Local Governance Act, 2016 (ACT 936), the Accra Metropolitan Assembly is entrusted with various core functions, including:
- Overall development of the district
- Formulating and executing plans for resource mobilization and development
- Supporting productive activity and social development
- Promoting education and addressing manpower needs
- Developing basic infrastructure and providing municipal services
- Managing human settlements and the environment
- Ensuring security and public safety
- Promoting access to justice
- Preserving and promoting cultural heritage
- Initiating necessary studies for its duties
- Performing any other functions provided under the law.
The Accra Metropolitan Assembly is dedicated to driving progress and prosperity in the city, making it an essential hub for development and governance in the Greater Accra Region.